Plein Air Down Under invites local, national and international artists to join in the fun of Mandurah’s first outdoor painting festival to capture the beauty and character of its natural and built environment.
Almost $5,000 in cash and prizes is on offer for artists accepting the challenge of capturing the character and beauty of Mandurah’s natural and built environment.
As well as organised Paint Outs, there will be time for artists to explore and paint in other areas.
Prize Categories and Awards:
- $2,500 Best in Show, presented by the City of Mandurah
- $500 People’s Choice Award, presented by Bendigo Bank Halls Head
- $500 Peel Region Award, presented by Bendigo Bank Halls Head
- $200 Youth Award, presented by Bendigo Bank Halls Head
- $500 Quick Draw Award
- Youth, Highly Commended: One-on-one mentoring session with plein air artist Leon Holmes. $500 value
The festival dates are 28, 29 and 30 September, with additional pre-festival workshops and activities – all designed to celebrate the art of painting outdoors. The festival will be held around Mandurah’s town centre, cultural precinct and Dolphin Quay Marina.
What is Plein Air Painting?
En plein air is a French expression meaning “in the open air” and refers to the act of painting outdoors. The artist’s subject is in full view, with no photographic reference. It allows the artist to paint a moment in time, in real time. Plein air artists capture the spirit and essence of a landscape or subject by incorporating natural light, colour and movement.
Cover image: Oyster Bar Blues by Deborah Zibah