Since the days of the impressionists, artists have enjoyed the experience of painting outdoors. It is one of the true joys of being a painter.
Not only are we at one with nature, but there is also the camaraderie when two or more paint on location.
Plein Air Down Under is the Peel regions largest outdoor painting festival. Held around Mandurah’s cultural precinct, the event features awards and prizes, feature artists, youth involvement, demonstrations and an exhibition of plein air paintings.
2023 focused on outdoor and evening paint-outs, over $12,000 in awards and prizes, workshops, youth involvement, Lotterywest Demo Zone and two art exhibitions. Internationally renowned artists Leon Holmes (Aus), Amit Kapoor (India) and Matt Ryder (UAE), ran Masterclasses, painted and demonstrated throughout the festival.
Over 200 artists painted throughout Mandurah’s town centre, cultural precinct, and the historic town of Pinjarra. When the artists weren’t on site painting, the Mandurah Performing Arts Centre served as the festival hub, offering artists and spectators the opportunity to watch free demonstrations, listen to live music and enjoy the festivities.
Highlights of the 2023 festival included:
- Workshops and Masterclasses
- Lotterywest Demo Zone
- Spirit of the Landscape Art Exhibition
- Artist registration open to professional, non-professional and youth artists
- Over $12,000 in awards and prizes
- Day and evening paint-outs
- A two-hour Quick Draw painting competition
- Opportunities to exhibit, sell and buy original artwork.